I got inspired by Pokemon Fusion and Evolve to create… something… a few months ago.  The gist is that I use simulated annealing to randomly place sprites (or images) in order to generate a collage which approximates the input image – I started with Pokémon sprites, but I’ve also tested it using artwork from Super Mario Brothers, Metroid and Etrian Odyssey.  It even works with Nicholas Cage’s face.

I’m still nailing down the fitness function and some performance optimizations before figuring out what to do with it.  The interesting bits are all JavaScript, though I’ve got one PHP script to get around the same origin policy and another to save the intermediate results to .png on the server (which, in this case, is my laptop.)  XAMPP is great for development, btw.